In the world of biryani chicken biryani is probably the one that is cooked more often in most homes. If your rice is of good quality, and your spice rack is well stocked, then there is nothing that can stop you from dishing up a fragrant chicken biryani. Chicken is a good quality protein and when combined with rice, herbs, spices and yogurt, it makes a healthy and filling one dish meal. You could of course serve it with kachumber and raita on the side. Only for thing is essential. For a good biryani, chicken or meat or egg or vegetables, time it in such a way that it is served piping hot, fresh from the stove!
To make a biryani follow these steps:
- Boil sufficient water in a deep pan, add three green cardamoms, four cloves, one stick of cinnamon, bay leaves and salt to taste. Boil1½ cups soaked Basmati rice in this till three fourth done. Drain and set aside. Chop 2 pieces of one inch ginger and cut 2 pieces of same size into thin strips.
- Mix 1 cup yogurt, salt, 5 chopped garlic cloves, 1 ½ teaspoons red chilli powder, and half the chopped ginger and marinate 600 grams chicken pieces in this mixture for about an hour preferably in the refrigerator.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry 2 large sliced onions till golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set aside.
- Heat three tablespoons oil in a thick bottomed pan. Add three green cardamoms, 4 cloves and one stick of cinnamon and sauté till fragrant. Add 2 large sliced onions and sauté till light golden. Add the remaining chopped ginger, 5 chopped garlic, 1 tablespoon coriander powder, 2 teaspoons turmeric powder, 1 ½ teaspoons red chilli powder, one teaspoon garam masala powder and 4 chopped tomatoes. Sauté for about five minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for five minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for ten to fifteen minutes or till the chicken is tender. Add fresh coriander and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Dissolve a generous pinch of saffron in warm milk.
- Arrange in alternate layers the cooked chicken and rice. Sprinkle saffron milk, some garam masala powder, ginger strips, fresh mint, fried onions and 3 tablespoons butter in between the layers and on the top. Make sure that you end with the rice layer topped with saffron and spices.
- Cover and seal with aluminium foil or roti dough. Cook in the preheated oven for ten to twelve minutes. Alternatively you can keep the pan on a hot tawa and cook on low heat for ten to twelve minutes.
- Serve hot with raita.
In case you are looking for more recipes of biryani, try Biryani with Chutney chicken, kachche Murgh Ki Biryani or something lighter like Egg Biryani.