Biryanis are a speciality rice dish – chicken cooked with spices, layered with parboiled rice and cooked. This definition undermines the beauty of a well made biryani! Each rice grain is separate yet bound by flavor. Succulent meat seeped in tantalizing aromas. Overall it is a pot full of flavors with marvelous texture. Whether it is a biryani from Hyderabad or Lucknow, any good biryani will fulfill all these criteria. Let us cook a delicious Chicken Biryani is a manner that it can be included in your collection of easy Indian recipes.
This will serve four persons.
- Take 600 grams chicken with bone that is cut into one and half inch pieces. Wash them well under running water and place in a colander to drain completely.
- Chop 2 one-inch pieces of ginger and cut the 2 one inch pieces of ginger into julienne.
- Place 1 cup yogurt in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 5 chopped cloves of garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons of red chilli powder and half the chopped ginger and mix well. Add the chicken pieces and mix so that all the chicken pieces are well covered with the yogurt mixture. Cover the bowl with cling film and keep it in the refrigerator to marinate for about 1 hour. Wash and soak 1 ½ cups of Basmati rice for half an hour.
- Place a deep non stick pan on high heat and pour in 5 cups water. Add 3 green cardamoms, 4 cloves, 1 stick of cinnamon, 2 bay leaves and 1 teaspoon salt. When the water comes to a boil, drain the rice and add. Cook till the rice is three fourth done. Drain and set aside.
- Place a kadai on high heat and pour in sufficient oil. When small bubbles appear at the bottom of the wok, add 1 1/2 cups sliced onions and fry till the onions turn golden. Drain with the slotted spoon and place on an absorbent paper to absorb excess oil.
- Place a deep non stick pan on medium heat and pour in 3 tablespoons oil. Add 3 green cardamom pods, 4 cloves and 1 inch cinnamon and sauté for 1 minute or till fragrant. Add the 1 ½ cups sliced onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes or till light golden.
- Add the remaining chopped ginger, 5 chopped garlic cloves , 1 tablespoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 ½ teaspoons red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, 2 cups chopped tomatoes and ½ teaspoon salt. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Add ½ cup (100 ml) water and mix. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or till the chicken is cooked and tender. Add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Dissolve a generous pinch of saffron in ½ cup warm milk.
- Spread the rice over the chicken evenly. Sprinkle the saffron milk, 1 teaspoon garam masala powder, ginger julienne, 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves, browned onions and 3 tablespoons butter on the top.
- Roll the whole wheat flour dough into a thin cylinder and arrange it on the rim of the pan. Place a lid on top and press so that it fits tightly into the dough. The dough helps to seal the pan and thus prevent the flavors from escaping.
- Keep a tawa on medium heat and let it heat well. Keep the pan with the chicken and rice on it and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with burani. That is another yummy recipe that comes in the category of easy Indian recipes. In fact, in places like Hyderabad this biryani is a rage with Mirchi ka salan. Enjoy!